It’s time to reboot our bodies and minds by changing up our daily routines. We’re glad you can join us.
We will begin with a 7 day cleanse in a group that will be announced or in a customized group of specific people who request one at a specific time. Those who want to continue on for another week or two are welcome. Even better, you could move up a level! After all, it takes about 21 days to make or break habits! Our intention is to familiarize those of you who haven’t experienced or tried anything like this with a new way to improve your health and quality of life.
Three levels will be offered:
- We will teach beginners how to make substitutions by transitioning you from omitted (eliminated) foods to recommended foods.
- Jobri will offer “intermediate” cleansing which is totally vegan, incorporate more juicing, include some steamed or lightly sautéed foods and soups.
- A more formal detox will be introduced which includes juicing, smoothies, and raw food. Details for Levels 2 and 3 are forthcoming.
Let’s look at Level I now.
LEVEL 1 GUIDLINES
FOODS TO ELIMINATE
* All sugar! Don’t freak, wait to see the substitutes…
* White flour, white potatoes, white rice, bread! Starches turn to sugar!
* Caffeine…caffeinated coffee, tea, chocolate
* Gluten (wheat products that are in practically everything! READ LABELS)
*Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, butter)
* Meat…red, chicken/fowl, pork…none is preferred though wild caught salmon is allowed for all the die-hard carnivores. IF it is especially difficult to eliminate meat, go for the grass fed beef, free range, organic chicken…hormone free, etc. We refer to these types of meat as “clean meat.” Remember: this cleanse is geared to eliminate toxins from your bodies! Meat is very draining on the digestive system in addition to creating other systemic issues. The easier you make the digestive process, the quicker your body can begin to detox and heal.
* White potatoes.
If at all possible, buy ORGANIC food. If it’s not as available in your area, do the best you can and bless it! There are some fruits that absorb pesticides more readily than others. FYI: The harder the skin, the less absorption of pesticides.
Check out this link for the clean 15 and the dirty dozen:
* Quinoa (a rice like grain that actually has some protein and is very tasty). You make this basically the same way you make rice: 2 to 1 proportions of water to quinoa. If you must eat rice, get brown, wild or black – NO white rice.
* All green, leafy veggies: COLLARDS, spinach, turnip, KALE, beet greens, all lettuces, etc.
* Beets, peppers, cabbage, tomatoes, celery, cucumbers, SPROUTS, spinach, ONIONS, GARLIC, mushrooms, all root veggies except white potatoes and sweet potatoes are allowed. Cauliflower, squashes, especially spaghetti squash (lower starch), rutabagas, carrots.
* Unprocessed food grown from the earth is generally healthy and fine!
* Avocados in moderation. These are a source of good fat. The body assimilates fats from plants much differently than animal fats.
* Beans: garbonzo (delicious in salads), great northern, pintos, black, etc.
* Eggs: must be free range, organic, veggie fed poultry eggs and should be eaten in moderation.
* Raw nuts: especially almonds and walnuts, and most others. Peanuts are not as recommended due to the aflotoxins they tend to have. Aflotoxins have been suggested as possibly encouraging cancer growth. (Read “The China Study” by T. Collin Campbell). I would suggest buying organic peanut butter, or even better, try almond butter!
* Water, water, water (filtered). Half your body weight (in ounces) daily!! Adding lemon is a bonus!
* Fruit, especially berries! Blueberries have great antioxidants , apples (green apples are less sweet), bananas (use moderation), citrus, etc. Try to choose the lower glycemic fruits.
Low Glycemic Index Fruits
|Low GI Fruit||GI Value|
* Olive oil (extra virgin), coconut oil (great for cooking and can tolerate higher temps)
Other good stuff: Chia seeds are high in omega 3′s and are known to have many other health benefits. They go great in smoothies or juices (even water) as well as a salad topper! Hemp seeds are also a winner and have a nutty taste. Again, they are great in salads or smoothies.
Sugar: Truvia, or Stevia which comes from a plant. ( I like Stevia In The Raw and can get this at Kroger and most grocery stores). Others (use in moderation and not during a cleanse because these ding the glycemic index) are coconut sugar, raw honey or raw agave.
Dairy: Earth Balance “vegan butter”, also available at most grocery stores. It is tasty and much healthier than real butter.
Milk: Almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, hemp milk. I prefer the “real” coconut milk (Thai Kitchen’s organic lite is a good one and available at most grocery stores or Aroy-D which is in a carton and available at the Dekalb Farmers Market in Decatur, GA). This coconut milk is much richer and great for tea and coffee substitutes, or diluted with hot water, fresh orange or lemon with a little Stevia.
Grains: Quinoa as previously mentioned. This can generally be found in grocery stores as well as health food stores.
Pasta: There are several pasta subs like quinoa pasta, sprouted grain pasta (Ezekiel) and other gluten free ones. Most grocery stores at least have gluten free ones. There is a brand of black bean pasta (may be in the Asian section) at some Whole Foods. It has only 14 carbs and 20 proteins!
Bread: Ezekiel has some great sprouted grain options. These can be found at Whole Foods and larger grocery stores, usually in the frozen section. Why sprouted grain? Once a grain has sprouted, the gluten converts to a simple sugar. Try to use this in moderation though.
Mayo: Vegenaise is very tasty…you can’t tell the difference!
Coffee: There are several substitutions that will get you over the hump. One is called Teeccino and you actually brew it just like coffee, others include Roma which is like an instant coffee, you can also have some green tea, which does contain caffeine though it has wonderful anti-oxidant properties so just use in moderation, please. The Teeccino and Roma may be found at Whole Foods or other health food places. Some larger grocers, known to have healthier and organic foods, may have them.
Chocolate: Raw cacao is so good! You can find it at Whole Foods or most health food stores. It is in a more natural form and has some good health benefits. It is rather bitter so will probably need a little stevia. Try mixing a spoonful in some hot water with a bit of coconut milk and stevia….big treat! Carob is another alternative and is naturally sweet.
Other sinful goodies: Coconut butter/mana is heavenly either by a spoonful or in a smoothie. Remember, this is a good fat.
Probiotics – 50 billion, Vitamin D, Digestive enzymes, Omega 3s, and more depending on live cell results which you will learn more about later.
Colon health is so important! The probiotics help to balance the bacteria in the intestinal tract therefore preventing the over growth of candida albicans, or yeast. This condition can cause many problems down the line and become a gateway for chronic as well as acute illnesses. Eliminating gluten, especially for those with allergies and sensitivities, will have a tremendously positive effect on your quality of life.
Enemas and colonics: www.bionaturally.com
A colonic is definitely recommended during your cleanse. Karla Magruder is our expert in Atlanta. You may reach her at 770-649-0789 to make an appointment. If you don’t have access to a practitioner where you live, you can do an enema at home. We will go into this in more detail later.
Taking Aloe Vera and drinking plenty of water will also help with elimination. If you have elimination difficulty, there are a number of alternatives you can try. I would begin with something called CALM. It mixes with water, is natural, and is very effective.
It is recommended to begin you day with at least 15 minutes of meditation, visualization, affirmations, prayer, etc. We have “our own” in house expert, Raychelle LeBlanc, whom you can schedule with for an introduction to meditation session!
This is a very personal ritual so please use whatever you are familiar with. Here is a helpful link to get you started with meditation:
Also, my pal, Terri Cole, is a great teacher/therapist/mentor and offers great “Tune Up Tips:”
Louise Hay is the matriarch of affirmations and the author of “You Can Heal Your Life:”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O-Fz-gu50E&feature=related How to love yourself, Part I
Visualization techniques are very effective. Imagine yourself healed, healthy, exactly the way you want to feel or look. It works! Raychelle LeBlanc also offers guided imagery sessions as well as reiki, reflexology and coaching at our office.
DRY SKIN BRUSHING
This is a great way to encourage lymphatic flow and sluff off those dead cells!
We recommend rebounding on a mini trampoline to help move toxins through your lymphatic system. Rebounding also has many other benefits and you can read all about them here:
You can find a rebounder at Walmart or any sports store. They can run from $30ish up.
Of course, any exercise is good, and yoga is another way to get the mind/body connected.
We have several skilled massage therapists on site next door at Midtown West Medical. If you are already a patient of Dr. Kimball’s, your insurance may cover it.
We have many of the supplies that you will need at the Jobri store located at 957 West Marietta Street, Atlanta 30318, 404-817-0062. We carry the enema kits, most of the supplements, dry skin brushes, juicers, Vita Mix’s, books, DVD’s and many other items.
Dr. Mary will be doing live cell nutritional analysis and consults in her office at Jobri. I have adjusted the fees for participants. They are $45 for the live cell profile and $75 for both live cell and a consult. You will learn the following: http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1313
The consult will cover recommendations depending on the results of your live cell, and will address other health concerns or issues, especially related to the cleanse. Referrals for services that may be needed or desired by the participant will also be offered. (Dr. Mary may be reached at 404-558-6327 or by email: DrMaryK@aol.com, for questions and scheduling).
We would love (and plan) to offer educational classes on health, food prep, juicing, rebounding and have movie nights! We have a full gym and offer exercise with oxygen.
Kris Carr’s “Crazy Sexy Diet.” http://crazysexydiet.com/ Kris covers all of this and more in her book. She is one of my mentors and has had so much influence in my own healing. We carry several of her books and her movie at Jobri, and you can get these on Amazon for a great price, too. Kris also has an ebook “Crazy Sexy Juices And Succulent Smoothies”, available online.
T. Collin Powell ”The China Study” http://www.tcolincampbell.org/
Mark Hyman, MD “The Blood Sugar Solution http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/bss/launch/index.html
For additional guidance, counseling, coaching on nutritional, Vicki Steine is excellent! She has a lot of experience on the holostic side of nutrition as well as counseling. For more info, visit her site at: http://www.yourhealthystructure.com/.
Please comment/post your thoughts, and they will be promptly addressed by us. We would love for the participants to develop a support system and make new friends here! Also, we have a Facebook page where most of the conversation is happening. It is a closed group (for your privacy) and all you have to do is request an invitation: https://www.facebook.com/groups/jobricleanse/
Level 2 Guidelines
This level is similar to Level 1, though completely vegan which means no meat, eggs, or dairy, and no caffeine or alcohol. We will be incorporating some fresh green juice and smoothies and introducing wheatgrass into this plan. We will be moving into cleanse mode! You will be eating more salads and steaming or lightly sautéing your veggies in order to capture more of the enzymes in your food. You will enjoy soups made with vegetable broth and veggies, fruit salads, nuts, seeds, quinoa with sautéed veggies, etc. Links to fabulous recipes will be included later in the recipe section. Don’t forget to drink half your body weight in liquid ounces of purified/filtered water each day! Flush it!
Eating out: There will always be something on the menu that you can eat, so don’t worry. It is especially helpful if you call ahead and tell the restaurant that you are eating vegan or raw. Most places are happy and willing to make accommodations.
Here are a few that we like:
- Chef Anthony at Cafe Lily in Decatur is also a health enthusiast, is so nice and truly understands and appreciates special requests.
- Season’s 52 has a gluten free, vegan, and regular menu.
- Another fav is Miller Union which has one of the best seasonal vegan plates in town!
- Also, www.ataste4health.com has great info and reviews by our own rock star nutritionist, Jennifer Hnat. Big congrats to Jen for getting her RD internship in Augusta!
- Remember, there are always the hot bars at Sevanandah and Rainbow Grocery.
- Nectar in Decatur makes to order juices and wheatgrass shots. They also have gluten free bread and use organic ingredients. Vegan friendly. Also, they have a new food truck that will hit the streets very soon. Look for rolling juice and healthy fare soon!
*FYI – Watch the gluten in seitan laced dishes at Sevan and make sure you get the vegan dishes at Rainbow.
Level 3 Guidelines
Moving up a notch, we are ready for full detox mode! We are now ready for green juice, daily wheatgrass shots, filtered water, raw fruits veggies, nuts, seeds, and plenty of exercise to push toxins through the lymphatic system http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1316 .
Colon cleansing is especially important when you are detoxing. As toxins accumulate in the liver, it is crucial to assist the body in eliminating them. Please review the colon cleansing section above. We recommend a colonic (www.bionaturally.com) and daily enema’s while you are detoxing. You can use 4 oz of fresh wheatgrass or unroasted organic coffee (http://www.sawilsons.com/), to enhance the enema and stimulate the bile duct (from the liver), for a more thorough release of toxic material.
Benefits of wheatgrass – This link provides a plethora of information: http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1363.
FAQ’s on raw foods: http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1367.
There are many healthy vegan, gluten free, and raw recipes floating around on the internet. I am including some of our own as well as those of our raw food chef (Victoria Moon).
Jobri raw recipes: http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1376
Chef Victoria’s raw recipes from her awesome www.permissiontoheal.com blog: http://permissiontoheal.org/forum/categories/healing-recipes/listForCategory
Juices and Smoothies
Check out my pal, Kris Carr’s whacky video about her new recipe eBook: http://crazysexyjuice.com/ I ordered this, it is fabulous and is packed with related info! Kris also has a brand new book out called Crazy Sexy Kitchen which is available on Amazon as well as her website, http://kriscarr.com .
For our own famous Jobri Juice (and variations thereof): http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1380
Dr. Mary’s Smooth Smoothies: http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1387
Recommended Juicers: If you are doing wheatgrass, you will need a special auger juicer that does grasses and sprouts. We carry these and my favorite one is the Omega juicer. They are great and very reasonable in price. There are also portable ones that you can use just for wheatgrass/sprouts (we have those as well at Jobri). For juice without sprouts, I highly recommend the Breville juicer. It is easy to use and easy to clean. You can find this one at William Sonoma, Bed Bath Beyond, Cooks Warehouse (lots of choices) and, of course, there is always Amazon.
For Smoothies: Any good mixer will do although the Vita Mix is the Mercedes of blenders, pricey but well worth it! Jobri, Amazon, and Cooks Warehouse carry these. Another good option is the Nutribullet by David Wolfe. These are available online though if you get a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond, you will score an additional $20ish off the $99 price tag!
Level 1…Gateway to health!
- Designed as an educational tool for those wishing to change their lifestyles to a “healthstyle.”
- Review the allowed/recommended foods and the foods to be eliminated.
- Add purified water and some exercise. BAM…you’ve just upgraded your health! Easy breezy!
Level 2…Beginners cleansing
- Designed to introduce the body to light cleansing and detox. By eliminating foods that are difficult to digest we lessen the load on our immune systems and allow the body to begin cleansing itself. Yes, that’s right. The immune system is designed to go after any foreign matter in the body. Processed food is one of the many culprits that impedes healthy living.
- Review Level 1 for allowed and eliminated food lists and add in some green juice or a smoothie. Try 1-2 ounces of a fresh wheatgrass shooter (daily if possible). Atlantans will find them at these commonly known locations: Sevanandah, Arden’s Gardens, Nectar, and the Whole Foods stores with a juice bar. Out of towners can Google it to find locations close by!
Level 3…Full on detox, cleaning house and taking names!
- Designed to assist those who wish to rid their bodies of toxic buildup and reboot the immune system.
- Also geared toward those who are experiencing a health crisis and are looking to enhance the body’s healing powers. Here we are doing juices, wheatgrass and raw food.
Typical schedule for detoxing:
- Morning…1st thing upon waking: Large glass of purified water with lemon…afterward, may have hot herbal tea or coffee substitute. See http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1395
- Breakfast: Shot of wheatgrass – 2 oz – should be consumed within 15 minutes of making it), Green juice (ideally 16 oz, 2xday; may be made up to 2-3 days in advance.
- Lunch: Salad with any raw veggies and SPROUTS! Water, water, water, a nice tea with lemon and stevia or any of the raw recipe foods that you find appealing.
- Late afternoon: Second shot of wheatgrass followed by your green juice. Due to the increase in energy after a wheatgrass shot, don’t take this too late.
- Dinner: Again, anything green, raw, keep adding in sprouts for glorious protein, try new recipes!
Our own Chef Victoria will be taking orders for raw meals if you wish to supplement your own talents. For more information, you may contact her here or at her web site directly at www.permissiontoheal.com . We would love to have food prep, juicing and smoothie classes at the Jobri Center so please express your desire for that here if you are interested!
Remember, the organs of elimination help us shed our toxins faster so the more attention we pay to them, the faster they work for us!
Here are the important ones:
*Skin: The largest organ in the body…Dry Skin Brushing helps.
*Lungs/Breath: We exhale carbon dioxide and waste material from our cells. http://www.dynamicsofmotion.com/How_to_Detox_with_Deep_Breathing_s/139.htm
*Colon/Liver (largest internal organ): http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1371
*Lymphatics: Unlike the cardiovascular system, the lymphatics don’t have a pumping system. This system relies mostly on muscle movement, i.e., rebounding/exercise/massage, dry skin brushing, and increased fluid volume (water). http://www.jobricenter.com/?p=1316
*There is so much more information that I could post here, though I would really like to address specific issues that you may have so I can steer you in the direction which would best suit your needs. I will also answer your questions posted in the comment section here and on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JobriCenter?fref=ts . Daily inspiration and tips will be posted as well on the Facebook page designated for your cleanse…..So, Bomb’s Away!!!!
In Health, Healing And So Much Love,
Dr. Mary and Jobri!